Retracting an offer
Sometimes it may be necessary to retract an offer. This could be due to:
- Insufficient or unsatisfactory references
- Failure of medical
- Result of DBS check
- CV/application inaccuracies
- Failure to provide Asylum and Immigration information
- A resulting criminal conviction between offer and start date
- Disclosure of confidential information
- Bringing the University into disrepute before start date
- Where an individual has failed to obtain permission to work in the UK
If retracting a job is necessary it should really be seen as a last resort. Recruiting managers must always consult with their local People and OD Partner before retracting an offer.
Once the final decision has been made this must be communicated to the individual both orally and in writing. The exact reasons for retraction should be stated. It should be made clear whether the retraction has implications for application to other posts in the University.