Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Career break

You can apply to take a career break to care for your family, for example to care for your children, elderly or unwell family members.

This break will be unpaid and may last for an agreed period of between 6 months to 2 years. To apply you must have worked at the University continuously for at least two years.

At the end of the career break you will be re-employed in your original post wherever possible. If this is not possible we will do our best to redeploy you to a suitable post.

If you are considering applying you should discuss this with your line manager. An application can then be put in writing.

Your line manager will need to consider your request against the service needs.

For more information: