Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Payroll FAQs

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions that the Payroll team receive.  You are encouraged to check below to see if you can find the answer to your question, before contacting the team. 

This will mean your question is answered faster, and reduce the number of queries allowing the team more time to focus on processing pay quickly and efficiently.

Feedback, including other FAQs you would like to see here, can be sent to

Payslips, P45s and P60s FAQs

Why haven’t I received a payslip/P60?  Can you send me a copy of my payslips?

These are not sent out but viewable online through the MyView Portal.  You can also save and print these yourself from MyView.  Please only contact for a hard copy if you genuinely do not have access to a smartphone or computer from which you can view and print your slip.

If you are leaving the University you are advised in your leaver’s letter to print these before you leave, as you will no longer be able to access MyView after leaving.

I don't understand my Payslip

A guide to understanding your Payslip is available here.

Can you re-send me a P45/P60? Can you tell me how much tax I have earned while working at the University to help me complete my self-assessment?

We cannot issue duplicate P45s or P60s in line with HMRC rules.

We recommend that you register online for a personal tax account with HMRC where you will be able to see a full history of your earnings from all employers together with the tax paid in each year.  Visit to do this

Why have I received a P45 after my fee has been paid?

If you are external and have been paid a one-off fee we then have to make you a leaver in our HR and Payroll system so you will be automatically sent a P45.  We cannot issue duplicate P45s, or issue P60 for external fees, so recommend you register online for a personal tax account with HMRC where you will be able to view all your earnings and tax paid.

What is a P60?

In the UK and Ireland a P60 (End of Year Certificate) is a statement issued to taxpayers at the end of the tax year. It is important a taxpayer retains the P60 documentation issued to them, as they form a vital part of the proof that tax has been paid.  A P60 will include details of taxable gross pay, as well as deductions of tax and national insurance.  

MyView and Online Expenses FAQs

I can’t log into MyView to submit my expense claim

Please email they will check your account and get back to you.

I have submitted an online expense claim in MyView, when will I be paid?

Check whether your claim has been authorised in MyView and speak with the relevant approver if it has not yet been approved.  Authorised claims are paid weekly on Fridays.

Where can I find out more about online expenses?

The expenses home page is at:

A full list of online expenses FAQs can be found at

Tax and National Insurance FAQs

Why have I been taxed when I won’t earn enough to meet the annual tax-free allowance?

You are given a tax-free allowance monthly, any amount earned over that is taxed accordingly in line with HMRC guidance.  If at the end of the year you have not met the tax threshold, or paid too much tax, you can be refunded by HMRC.

Why has my Tax Code changed?

From time-to-time HMRC notify us of tax code changes for staff; you should also have been notified by HMRC.  HMRC will not discuss your personal tax code with HR, so you need to contact them directly if you have any concerns about your tax code.  The number for HMRC is 0300 200 3300.

Parental and Sick Pay FAQs

Why does my maternity pay vary each month?

This is based on statutory pay which is paid weekly; the number of weeks in each month fluctuates between 4 and 5, so your pay fluctuates correspondingly.

Why does my payslip show sick pay when I haven’t been ill this month?

This is due to late entry of a prior sickness absence by your line manager or departmental Sickness Absence Management System (SAMS) co-ordinator.

What will happen if I don’t qualify for statutory payments for parental-related or sickness absence?

If you do not qualify you will be sent the relevant form to claim from the benefits office (SSP1 for Sick pay or SMP1 for Parental Pay).

What is my occupational/statutory sickness entitlement (SSP) and what is calculated in the payment?

You can find the occupational entitlement here: and statutory sick pay here:

Payment is calculated over a rolling 12 months from the date of absence.  If you have been off in the last 12 months this reduces your entitlement.  Once an absence date goes over 12 months this will be added back to your entitlement as long as you are not currently off absent. 

SSP runs alongside occupational sick pay up to a total of 28 weeks. If you have been off before with 8 weeks this will be joined to the current SSP entitlement. If you run out of occupational entitlement your statutory sick pay will continue if you still have entitlement left. 

Once you have received all your 28 weeks SSP you will receive an SSP1 book which is taken to the benefits office for further payment.

Changes in Pay FAQs

I have had a change in my contract that has not been reflected in my payslip

The contract may have been amended after the payroll deadline; if this is the case the change will be reflected in the payslip the following month.  If you have been notified of a change to your contract but not received any paperwork, you or your manager should alert Employment Services to ensure that the PCM has been received.

My pay has changed and I don’t know why

If you are on maternity leave your pay will fluctuate month-to-month according to how many weeks there are each month.  If you are on Occupational or Statutory sick pay and you have reduced to half or nil pay you should have been notified by Employment Services in advance.

If you have been receiving a temporary act up allowance, or been seconded to a higher grade on a temporary basis. this higher salary will end in line with the authorisation (PCM) that HR have received.  If it has been extended you will have received notification from HR.  If you have not received this, speak to your manager to check whether an extension PCM has been sent to HR.

Otherwise, review your payslip against your previous one and follow the guidance below to establish what has changed.

Firstly, check whether your salary amount has changed.  If you were due an incremental pay rise these are paid for most eligible staff effective 1 August each year; dates vary for some clinical staff.  Nationally negotiated increases to the pay scales will have been communicated on Staffnet.

If your salary has changed for any other reason you should have been notified personally and should contact your Employment Services team to discuss this.

If your salary has not changed, look at whether any of your deductions have changed from the previous month.  For example, are deductions being made for a season ticket or childcare voucher that you have requested, has your student loan deduction changed, or have you taken out a loan for a visa which is now being repaid?  If any of these amounts are not as you expected contact Employment Services.

If your salary and deductions remain the same, but the amount of tax has changed, look at whether your tax code has changed on the payslip.  If your tax code has changed this is because HMRC have instructed the University to amend it, and you should have received a notification from them regarding this.  You will need to discuss this directly with HMRC if you have any questions.

If you have followed the above and are still unsure why your pay has changed, contact Employment Services to discuss further.

Contacting Payroll

Our in-house Payroll team is primarily here to run the University's payrolls as instructed by Employment Services, and to provide an internal service to HR colleagues as subject matter experts on technical matters (such as Tax and HMRC regulations).

We have produced the list of Frequently Asked Questions (above) as many of these can be answered simply without the need to contact us. 

Other general queries that cannot be answered from the information available on Staffnet, or by reference to a line manager, should be sent to  The escalation point for all HR and Payroll queries in the first instance is to the Employment Services Team Lead responsible for your Faculty/Directorate.  The contact details for Employment Services are available here:

A reminder that all internal fee claims (PR5s), and fees and expenses claims for non-University personnel (PR7s), should continue to be sent to  Internal expenses can be claimed online using the MyView portal.

If you do need to contact Payroll direct with a payroll-specific query, that does not relate to fees or expenses, this should be sent to  You can also contact us on 0161 306 8185.


What is Payroll Giving?

Payroll giving is donating to your favourite charity via your salary.  You can find information about the scheme and how to sign up on our StaffNet pages:

Can I make trade union subscriptions from my salary?

The university recognises three main unions (UCU, Unite and Unison) and staff can pay union deductions via their pay, which is known as DOCAS (Deduction of Contributions at Source).  To do this staff should complete the form from the relevant Union and this will be passed onto HR Services for action.

How can I stop deductions from my salary?

There are various deductions from salary, including Car parks, Unions, UMSA, GAYE, Sudgen Sports Centre. You will need to contact the relevant provider to inform them you want to stop deductions as well as HR Services The payment will usually stop in the following month after the stop notice has been given, or if given at the start of the month the payment will stop for that month.

When can I claim overtime?

Whether you can claim overtime depends on your role and the circumstances.  You can normally claim overtime if you have prior agreement from your manager, the overtime is more than 30 minutes and you are employed as support staff grades 1-5  You are unable to claim overtime if you are employed as Academic, Academic- Related and Research staff or Grade 5 Teaching focussed staff.  Overtime cannot be claimed if the overtime is for a period less than 30 minutes. 

Full guidance, and forms for claiming overtime, can be found at: