Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type




Expenses can be claimed for a number of items and events, as long as they are "wholly, necessarily, and exclusively" for work purposes. This is a rule imposed by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

More details about the categories that can be claimed against are available in the Expenses Categories section.

The majority of employees should submit their expense claims online via MyView, with a few exceptions. More details about submitting a claim are available here.

Please note that all expense claims should be submitted within 3 months (90 days) of incurring the expenditure.

When will my expense claim be paid?

All claims submitted via MyView are paid in the first appropriate and available payroll once the claim has been fully authorised. Non-taxable claims are paid weekly, and taxable claims are paid alongside your normal monthly salary. More details about the MyView Expenses process are available here.

We aim to pay claims submitted using a paper-based form within two weeks of receiving the fully authorised form and receipts/proof of expenditure. More details about submitting a paper-based claim are available here.

Please note that External Examiners have a separate form to use and process to follow when making expense claims - click here to find out more.

General Rules

Like all employers, the University is obliged by law to follow the rules imposed by HMRC. These rules include a requirement that all expenses payments are "wholly, necessarily, and exclusively" for work purposes.

If this is not the case, expenses may be paid at the discretion of the University, and both income tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) must be deducted from the payment.

HMRC also require that original receipts are provided with all claims. This gives the necessary proof that the expenditure was incurred and that it was for University business.

The University’s Financial Regulations and Financial Procedures include further rules on expenses. These can be found at the below links:

Contact Us

If you have any queries about your expense claim, please contact Fees and Expenses.