Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type


Grievances may be concerned with a wide range of issues, including the allocation of work, working environment or conditions, the opportunities that have been given for career development or the way in which you have been managed.

The first step is to try to resolve the matter informally. Most grievances can be resolved quickly and informally through discussion. 

If you are concerned about an issue you should speak to your immediate supervisor or line manager. If it is not appropriate to speak to your line manager, for example, because your complaint concerns him or her, then you should speak informally with the Head of the Organisational Unit or ask Human Resources for advice.

The University's mediation service may be able to help in situations where individuals have tried but are having difficulty in resolving interpersonal disagreements.

If the matter cannot be resolved informally then you may wish to progress the matter through the formal grievance procedure.

Managers who are involved in dealing with grievances should consult with Human Resources at all stages in the procedure.