Payroll Giving Scheme
Our Payroll Giving Scheme enables you to donate to your favourite charity on a regular or one-off basis by automatic deductions from your monthly pay.
A monthly gift of £10 from your take-home pay to your chosen charity will be automatically boosted to £12.50 for a 20% rate tax payer and £16.66 for a 40% rate tax payer. This means your charity receives your donation, but also the amount that you’d normally pay in tax at no extra cost to you. Giving this way helps your charity receive regular financial support and helps smaller charities in particular, as many do not have the resource to claim back Gift Aid.
How to sign up
You simply sign up via our Payroll Giving link with the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF). You just need:
- Your NI & Staff ID number
- The name of your charity and address if available. There is a drop-down list of charities that recognises the 500 most donated to charities through CAF, however this is not the finite list of registered charities employees can donate to. You can also free-type in the box, so for any other charities it is fine to just write the name as they will be set up on CAF's system, just not in the top 500. CAF's team will then receive this request and identify the charity. If they have any questions about the address etc. they can contact you directly to check.
Be inspired to donate
You can donate to any charity you like. Here are some suggestions of charities for inspiration. This list highlights some of the most popular charities being supported by staff via the Payroll Giving Scheme or have been supported in the past in via staff survey or other efforts. Or why not support your local animal rescue, community project or health charity that has affected you or a loved one. The past two years have given many good reasons to give back to many local causes that have done so much.
Due to the generosity of staff the University has been awarded The Payroll Giving Bronze Award every since 2015. This reflects the fact that over 1% of our staff are donating. In November 2019 the University was Highly Commended in the National Payroll Giving Excellence Awards for Most Sustained Scheme (7,000 - 29,999 employees).
- How to donate to charities supporting the Turkey–Syria earthquake appeal
- How to donate to charities supporting people in Ukraine crisis
Making changes to your donations
Using the UoM’s unique Payroll Giving link then click on the Start Giving Now button.
Scroll down and click on the “I’d like to Give to Charity” button on the left.
There are two options for I’m an Existing donor.
- Existing Donor/add to my existing GAYE donation: use this if you are already a donor but would now like to donate to additional charities.
- Existing Donor/replace my existing GAYE donation: use this if you are already a donor but want to amend your existing donations. All your existing donations will automatically be cancelled, so you will need to enter all of them again. For example: if you have 3 separate donations and want to cancel one, you will need to cancel all and input the details again of the two you wish to continue donating to.
Cancelling all donations
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and advise that you no longer wish Payroll Giving deductions to be taken from your salary. Depending on when you cancel, payments will cease from the next available payroll.
Individual Charity Accounts
With a CAF Charity Account you can set aside a little when you have it, so you can make a difference when you want to. It’s simple and stress-free – and because we add Gift Aid, you have even more to give from your charitable account.
The CAF Charity Account is a great way to organise your giving – you can support all your favourite causes from one account by setting up regular standing orders or making ad hoc donations using CAF's charity search.
Discover more about CAF's Charity Accounts.
Payroll Giving Quality Mark Award
Due to the generosity of staff the University have received the Payroll Giving Quality Mark Bronze Award every year since 2015.
Every employer that offers a Payroll Giving scheme to their employees is eligible to receive a Quality Mark. Employers that achieve set participation rates are eligible to apply for a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum Quality Mark. The bronze level is awarded to businesses with over 1% of their colleague base donating through the scheme. The University currently has over 2.5% of staff donating via Payroll Giving.
Sign up via post
If you don't have access to a PC at work you can sign up at home or you can print this application form and post back or email to:
CAF Give As You Earn, Charities Aid Foundation, 25 Kings Hill Avenue, West Malling, Kent ME19 4TA. By email: scan in the paper forms and email them to: email@example.com
If you are wanting to set up a Charity Account, follow the same payroll giving link.
With our Payroll Giving Scheme you can donate straight from your salary. This happens before tax is deducted from your income.
You can pay less Income Tax by deducting the value of your donation from your total taxable income. Do this for the tax year in which you made the gift to charity.
More information is available from HMRC.
Guide to savvy charitable giving
The Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) has a guide to savvy charitable giving to help you decide how to make contributions to charity in a way that best suits you.
What is Payroll Giving (video)
The Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) has a video explaining Payroll Giving: