Report an issue with a Library space
We all have a duty to ensure our Library spaces are looked after in the best possible way. This covers all aspects including cleaning, repairs and building management. We use helpdesk data to analyse and identify trends for the main sites.
See it, Sort it or Report it
- We're all responsible for reporting issues - if you're unsure, contact the Estates Helpdesk
- Good management of our Library spaces is a team effort
- What we're willing to walk past is what we're willing to accept
If you have found or have been made aware of an issue, you should sort it (if it is safe and sensible to do so). However, this is not always possible. To report issues, please follow the guidance below.
An urgent issue is a problem affecting an entire building/area or something that causes immediate and serious risk, such as floods, fire hazards and other immediate health and safety concerns.
In this instance, tell your manager or another suitable member of staff (e.g. a member of the Library Leadership Team) immediately and phone the Estates help desk on 0161 275 2424, logging an urgent request of '00' which is a same day call out for engineers.
Please also keep Ciaran Pook (Library Spaces Co-ordinator) informed of any urgent issues.
A non-urgent issue is a problem like faulty lighting, a damaged door hinge or a leaking tap.
In this instance, contact the Estates Helpdesk.
Who else can help?
The following information about some common problems may help you but remember, if you see an urgent issue (eg people’s safety is at risk), inform your manager and phone the Estates help desk on 0161 275 2424.
|Issue||Who can help||General information|
Zip Taps (instant boiling water dispensers) in staff spaces are managed by Library Finance. If a repair is needed, please report to the Library Finance team. The zip tap in Library Living Room is managed by Estates and any problems should be reported to the Estates helpdesk.
Small areas of damage in floors can lead to significant hazards. If you notice anything, report it immediately and also inform the team if you think it presents an immediate risk to someone being hurt.
Across Library spaces, environmental controls may differ in how they operate and are controlled. For example, you may sometimes find spaces hotter or cooler than you prefer, however this may not necessarily be a problem that Estates or another team can rectify immediately (or at all). It’s worth reporting any issues regardless.
Resolving the issue
If you want to check that an issue has already been reported by one of your colleagues than you can:
- Search for a request via the Estates Helpdesk webpage
- You can filter the search for the relevant building. For Crawford House please select Precinct Centre 2
- The list starts at the oldest job first so you will need to scroll to the bottom of the page to view anything recently added
- If the issue hasn't been reported then please raise a Helpdesk ticket
If the issue has been reported and isn't addressed in a reasonable amount of time:
- Please contact Ciaran Pook who will escalate the matter to our Estates Liaison Officer
- Where jobs are requested that are not externally outsourced or contracted out e.g. lighting requests, broken doors, failed sockets and heating issues, a reasonable turnaround time is a week unless specified otherwise on the ticket you raise
- Where requests are contracted out there may be a longer turnaround time of two weeks, e.g. lifts, alarm systems, hearing loops.
If you search on a work order, you can click the request number to the left to see the latest update on the job, if someone has attended and parts are on order.