Handling and transport
Collections transport is a service provided by Stock Operations colleagues on the Collection Development and Management team (CD&M). The service includes:
- Transporting returned books between library sites.
- Packing small, modern collections, moving them, and unpacking at a new location.
- Erecting, dismantling and relocating shelving.
- Transporting newly catalogued books to the destination libraries.
- Retrieving and returning material requested from offsite stores.
- In limited circumstances, collecting donated material from campus or from Greater Manchester addresses.
- If you have a transport request, please use the Transport request form, email it to email@example.com and print off some Crate Labels.
- Use the tick boxes and add appropriate details.
- Stick the label to the side of the crate; do not use the label to seal the crate.
- Ensure there is only one label per crate and each crate weighs no more than 10kg.
- Contact Library Finance if you need to order labels (quoting Lyreco 210 x 148mm multipurpose labels).
The above procedure applies to small moves of crates and packages. Please contact Ciaran Pook, Library Spaces Coordinator, for transport requests involving furniture and equipment. Please contact Postal Services if you have regular post to be delivered between sites.
Special Collections Transport
We can also transport Special Collections and Imaging Team material via a 'Hand Carry' service.
Please ensure you take the following steps to use this service:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request the Hand Carry service in advance.
- Ensure any items to be transported via this service and packaged and use the Hand Carry label and are accompanied by a Dispatch Letter
- Our team will contact you on arrival at your building - please deliver Hand Carry items directly to them.
- Our team will ask the intended recipient to come and collect the items from their building's delivery area.
- For other Special Collections transport requests, where the Hand Carry service is not required, please use the Special Collections crate label