This section provides information on support available when applying for promotion. It includes: Training and workshop support, Policies, procedures and guidance; Promotion criteria and links to useful information.
There are a series of workshops to support colleagues usually at the beginning of Semester 1, if you require support before then please contact your School Promotions Advisors.
As an equal opportunities employer, the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health is committed to promoting equality and diversity for all and in supporting all suitably qualified candidates for promotion.
As part of our commitment to both the Athena SWAN charter and the Race Equality charter, we particularly welcome female and black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) colleagues to attend this session. Academic promotions will always be awarded on merit.
Click the links below to book on to the workshop (or to join the waitlist)
Workshops are being delivered collaboratively with People-OD, FBMH Academic Development and the Learning and Development team.
- FBMHS7402 Promotions workshop: Teaching focused, Teaching and Research focused and Research focused 04/10/22
If you were unable to attend the above workshop and would like to view a recording of this then please click on the link below. Please note you have to be logged into the University's video portal before you can access and watch the video.
If you were also unable to attend School Promotions Advisor Information session that was held on the 16/11/22 and you would like to view a recording of this then please click on the link below:
People and Organisational Development
Promotion Criteria - Research Staff
- For advice and guidance on research staff promotion criteria please visit the webpages Research Development Promotions
- For workshop booking please link to the training catalogue RESDEV0029 Promotions for Research staff
29/09/22 or 03/11/22 - now open for booking
Research staff: email email@example.com
Policies, Procedures and Guidance
Useful documents / information for academic promotions:
- University of Manchester Academic and Research Promotions Page
- Research Staff Promotions FAQ's
- FBMH Academic Promotions Procedure 2022-2023
- Academic Promotions Criteria to Lecturer Grade 6
- Academic Promotions Criteria to Lecturer Grade 7
- Criteria for Promotion to Grade 6 Research Associate
- Criteria for Promotion to Grade 7 Research Fellow
- FBMH Academic Promotions Timetable 2022-2023
- FBMH Curriculum Vitae Guidance
- FBMH Promotions Advisors - local support and guidance for those applying for promotion
- Evidencing Researcher Development and Collegiality in Academic Promotions Applications
Forms for use in academic promotions:
- Form 1 Individual Statement
- Form 2 Senior Colleague Statement
- Form 3 School Promotions Committee Recommendations
- Form 4 Referee Details
Applicants for promotion are asked to note the following points:
- When selecting a promotions track you should ensure that this is in line with your contract of employment. If you have any queries about this please discuss this with your Head of Division in the first instance.
- Where an application for promotion to Chair is unsuccessful it will not then be considered for promotion to Reader in the same promotions round by either the School or Faculty Promotions Committee.