FBMH Technical Services Review
The review of Technical Services is taking place across the University, although is primarily focussed on FBMH and FSE where the majority of the resource is based. The Review aims to modernise our technical structures in order to provide a more future focussed, agile service that operates across historical and organisational boundaries, and takes a more integrated view of the research and teaching requirements of the University overall. This work is more prevalent considering the environment the University currently finds itself operating in.
Within FBMH this review is being carried out by the Technical Services Review Group (TSRG), chaired by David Pattwell, Head of School Operations for the School of Medical Sciences, and sponsored by Vikki Goddard, Director of Faculty Operations. A Reference Group has also been set up with members from Academic, Research and Technical staff who will provide feedback throughout the review process, acting as 'champions'. Membership of both these groups can be found below.
The remit of the TSRG is to undetake a comprehensive review of the Faculty's Technical Services (including Technical and Experimental Officer requirements across research, teaching, facilities and Schools) to ensure that the Faculty is optimising the provision of service to achieve its objectives.
Introduction from the Review Sponsor
FBMH Director of Operations, Vikki Goddard talks about the Review in this short video
If you have any queries or feedback regarding the Technical Services Review, please email:
The Technical Services Review working groups
There are two working groups involved in the Review - the Technical Services Review Group with additional support from the Technical Services Review Reference Group. The role and membership of these groups can be found in the sections below.
The Group was formed to undertake a review of the Technical Services across FBMH, including Technical and Experimental Officer requirements across research, teaching, facilities and Schools, to ensure that we are optimising the provision of service to achieve the Faculty’s objectives.
Project Sponsor: Vikki Goddard, FBMH Director of Faculty Operations
Technical Services Reference Group members:
- Project Lead - David Pattwell (Head of School Operations, School of Medical Sciences)
- Organisation and Culture subgroup lead - Sharon Grant (Head of School Operations, School of Health Sciences)
- People and Structures subgroup lead - Fiona Coll (Faculty HR partner)
- Finance subgroup lead - Anthony Edwards (Senior Finance Officer)
- Project Manager - Catherine Wright (Programme Manager for Hearing Health Theme, BRC)
- Project Administrator - Rebecca Darlington (Divisional Administrator, School of Medical Sciences)
- Project Communications - Stephanie Shaw (Faculty Internal Communications and Engagement Officer)
The Technical Services Review Reference Group (TSRRG) acts as an open channel for academic, research and technical staff views on requirements of technical services. The group plays an important role in the review, providing feedback on draft outputs from the Technical Services Review Group as well as acting as champions for the Reviews's recommendations, encouraging engagement with staff and students.
Technical Services Review Reference Group members:
- School of Biological Sciences: Dr Martin Pool, Senior Lecturer, Division of Molecular and Cellular Function (teaching); Professor Clair Baldock, Head of the Division of Cell Matrix Biology and Regenerative Medicine (research); Professor Philip Woodman, Head of the Division of Molecular & Cellular Function
- School of Medical Sciences: Dr Drew Tarmey, Reader, Division of Medical Education (teaching); Professor Simon Luckman, Brackenbury Chair of Physiology, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology & Gastroenterology (research); Dr Karen Piper-Hanley, Senior Lecturer (Teaching and Research)
- School of Health Sciences: Dr Mike Harte, Senior Lecturer, Division of Pharmacy & Optometry
- Technical Services: Peter Reid, Senior Technical Operations Manager; Caroline Grimshaw, Senior Technical Operations Manager, Biomedical Corridor Services; Hayley Monk, Senior Technical Operations Manager (teaching)
- Core Facilities: Dr David Knight, Bio-MS Facility Manager, FBMH Research and Innovation
News and activities
Latest updates and activities
Details of the three key themes of the Technical Services Review