Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) Staff Network Group
The Network Group is a vibrant forum to exchange views and help provide an authoritative voice for BAME staff within the University and its associated group of companies.
We have been instrumental in helping the Institution to shape the direction of Equality and Diversity policy within the University for a number of years.
We believe that any network group depends on social as well as professional interaction, so you will be pleased to know that we also organise (fairly) regular social events.
Aims of the group
- To promote race equality through active involvement and consultation on the University's strategy, policies and guidance on race equality.
- To monitor and assess the effective implementation of actions created in relation to the Race Equality Charter Mark.
- To campaign and lobby on race equality by preparing submissions to public consultations, public forums and University governing bodies.
- To work closely with other units or centres including the Equality and Diversity Unit and organisations which campaign for race equality in the University, such as the Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Centre, the University Students' Union and the Campus Trade Unions.
- To provide the opportunity to share experiences about working at the University.
- To provide support, guidance and signposting where appropriate.
The full remit of the group can be seen in our Terms of Reference.
We have set our 2019 meeting dates in advance so you can make a note in your diaries:
In an attempt to accommodate the differing working hours of our members, the time of future meetings will vary. Changes will be communicated via this page and email. If you are not currently on our mailing list and would like to be, please email: BAME.CHAIRS@manchester.ac.uk.
2019 Summer BBQ - 25th July 4pm - 6pm - our annual big social - SAVE THE DATE!
2018 Wear Red Day. Staff gathered to 'show racism the red card' on Friday 19 October:
See our updated About Us section for deatils of new committee members.
See all past events in our new events section!
We have a promotional video which can be used to highlight the work and benefits of the group:
FORUM E-MAILS: The BAME Staff Network Group has a Sharepoint page which can be accessed and used by all network members to communicate any information related to the BAME community at large. Please visit here: https://xorg.manchester.ac.uk/sites/BME-Staff-Network/SitePages/Home.aspx
For further information on what we have done, what we do now, where we are going in the future and where we meet for our regular meetings, please contact:
- Email: BAME.CHAIRS@manchester.ac.uk
- Twitter: @UoM_BAME_SNG
Network Group member Dawn Edge ‘ReACH’ (Researching African Caribbean Health) maintains a website which may be of interest to other members:
The Centre on Dynamics of Ethnicity (CoDE) is a highly respected research body based here at Manchester.
Manchester BME Network* is also a useful resource:
University Staff have access to hundreds of BAME related documentaries and films via Kanopy Streaming