Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) Staff Network Group
The Network Group is a vibrant forum to exchange views and help provide an authoritative voice for BAME staff within the University and its associated group of companies.
We have been instrumental in helping the University to shape the direction of Equality and Diversity policy within the University for a number of years.
We believe that any network group depends on social as well as professional interaction, so you will be pleased to know that we also organise (fairly) regular social events.
Aims of the group
- To promote race equality through active involvement and consultation on the University's strategy, policies and guidance on race equality.
- To monitor and assess the effective implementation of actions created in relation to the Race Equality Charter Mark.
- To campaign and lobby on race equality by preparing submissions to public consultations, public forums and University governing bodies.
- To work closely with other units or centres including the Equality and Diversity Unit and organisations which campaign for race equality in the University, such as the Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Race Relations Centre, the University Students' Union and the Campus Trade Unions.
- To provide the opportunity to share experiences about working at the University.
- To provide support, guidance and signposting where appropriate.
The full remit of the group can be seen in our Terms of Reference.
The BAME Network meetings for 2022 are:
- Tuesday 22nd March 2022 at 12pm via Teams
- Wednesday 18th May 2022 at 10am – 11am
- Wednesday 20th July 2022 – Summer Social – 4pm – 6pm - (See Events/News below)
- October 2022 – Black History Month Event – TBC
- Friday 16th December 2022 – Winter Social
Please e-mail BAME.CHAIRS@manchester.ac.uk to add yourself to the meeting or to suggest additional agenda items.
In an attempt to accommodate the differing working hours of our members, the time of future meetings will vary. Changes will be communicated via this page and email. If you are not currently on our mailing list and would like to be, please email: BAME.CHAIRS@manchester.ac.uk.
See all events in our new events section!
Summer Social– 20th July
This year’s event will be held at the Ahmed Iqbal Ullah RACE Centre, in the Central Library, Saint Peter's Square. There will be an exhibition, information and refreshments. Those who wish to attend must confirm prior for catering purposes.
NEW Mindwalk Yoga:
Stay-at-home life in the UK begins again, and Mindwalk Yoga has four free classes every week to keep you connected.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 08:00 - 08:40 GMT is a flowing yoga for anxiety practice to wake up the mind and body with me.
Thursday evenings at 20:00 - 21:00 GMT is yin and yoga nidra to calm the mind and body with Karen.
Join our community and be welcomed into a safe space to process whatever is going on with you right now, day-by-day, breath-by-breath.Link to join the group- please share with anyone who would benefit from our sessions: https://chat.whatsapp.com/G8EW5AQW8X461fqBx1vVq9
There are also YouTube videos that people can watch, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-F1BZW1tlfMuwrsYowXFwg
About Us: See our updated About Us section for details of new committee members.
We have a promotional video which can be used to highlight the work and benefits of the group:
FORUM E-MAILS: The BAME Staff Network Group has a Sharepoint page which can be accessed and used by all network members to communicate any information related to the BAME community at large. Please visit here: https://xorg.manchester.ac.uk/sites/BME-Staff-Network/SitePages/Home.aspx
For further information on what we have done, what we do now, where we are going in the future and where we meet for our regular meetings, please contact:
- Email: BAME.CHAIRS@manchester.ac.uk
- Twitter: @UoM_BAME_SNG
Network Group member Dawn Edge ‘ReACH’ (Researching African Caribbean Health) maintains a website which may be of interest to other members:
The Centre on Dynamics of Ethnicity (CoDE) is a highly respected research body based here at Manchester.
Manchester BME Network* is also a useful resource:
University Staff have access to hundreds of BAME related documentaries and films via Kanopy Streaming (CAS Authentication required)