There are a number of internal and external funding opportunities, which aim to facilitate the development of international research collaborations. See more information below.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine CSC Innovation Studentships
Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine (SJTUSM) will shortly be announcing the 2023 round of the CSC Innovation platform with the University of Manchester. Under this agreement there are up to 3 fully-funded PhD studentships with project costs at Band 2 (£9,000 p.a.).
Students have been told to identify a potential supervisor either by looking at the FBMH website or a spreadsheet of potential supervisors.
If you are interested in being contacted by a student please add or amend your details to the existing spreadsheet from last year; it can be accessed here Potential SJTUSM PhD supervisors 2023.xlsx. This will be shared with SJTUSM.
If contacted by a student that you are potentially interested in you must arrange to meet with them to assess their suitability and discuss a project.
A provisional timetable for the scheme is as follows:
- Late October/early November. SJTUSM announces call. SJTUSM students will contact UoM PIs. SJTUSM will keep a record of these contacts.
- 19 Jan. Deadline for PIs to notify Forbes Manson if they want their students to be considered.
- 22-23 Jan. UoM rank candidates.
- 24 Jan. Top 5 candidates notified.
- 26 Jan. Deadline for shortlisted candidates to apply online for PhD at UoM.
- 29 Jan-2 Feb. Online interviews.
- 2 Feb. Candidates and Doctoral Academy notified.
- 12 Feb Doctoral Academy makes up to 3 offers.
- 13 Feb-29 Feb: Offer holders prepare CSC application materials.
- 1-10 March: Offer holders apply to CSC (N.B. this is a formality, all offer holders will be funded).
If you have any questions about this scheme please contact email@example.com
BBSRC International Travel Award Scheme (ITAS)
Closing date: rolling call
To help scientists to add an international dimension to their BBSRC-funded research by making and establishing new contacts with international counterparts. Applicants must hold an active BBSRC grant.
UKRI Collaborate with researchers in Brazil
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and FAPESP have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to support collaborative applications. It provides for a lead agency agreement whereby participant UKRI research councils receive and assess joint applications from eligible UK and Brazil-based researchers from the state of São Paulo on behalf of both organisations.
Closing date: Open - no closing date
Closing date: TBC
Apply for funding to work with researchers in Japan in the fields of neuroscience, neurodegenerative diseases and dementia. MRC will provide matched funding with the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED).
Academy of Medical Sciences Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) – Networking Grant
The scheme is currently closed to applications, applications should reopen later in 2022. The aim of the grants are to:
- Pump prime new interdisciplinary partnerships;
- Forge new links and generate innovative approaches to addressing global challenges;
- Establish sustainable partnerships to conduct excellent research with impact;
- Strengthen research and training capacity and capability in developing countries.