Changeover from swipe to proximity readers on University car parks
20 Nov 2012
Following the upgrade of staff and student ID cards earlier in the year, new proximity readers are replacing the access control (swipe) readers across the University’s car parks.
If you access the car park using either a staff ID card or a swipe card issued by the Car Parks office, you will need to make sure you have the correct type of card that is compatible with the new readers.
The card should have a small letter ‘M’ on the back, enclosed in a circle. If it does not, then please make arrangements to have your card replaced:
- Staff cards are issued by HR;
- Parking Permit cards are issued by the permit office in the Beyer Building, Room G.002.
The proximity readers will be installed in place of the current swipe readers.
Using proximity readers
- Instead of swiping, you will simply need to hold your card approximately 1cm away from the new style reader;
- You can present the front or back of the card to the reader and you don't even need to take it out of your wallet or purse;
- If the reader recognises your card, the light on the reader will turn green and the barrier will open.
Do you have part-time/21-hit cards?
Please note that if you have a 21-hit card, your access arrangements will not change.
Car Parks Manager
Directorate of Estates and Facilities