Thank you scheme
The Thank You Scheme was introduced to provide a way for managers or peers to instantly reward and recognise colleagues that go that extra mile.
Often we forget, get distracted or take for granted good work and behaviours from our colleagues or teams. This scheme enables all staff to easily and quickly show their appreciation to any other member of staff by sending thank you cards and where managers can also give gifts or arrange events in appreciation of special efforts by their team members.
How you can show appreciation
To thank a colleague or one of your team you sign in and send an online card or printed card. It’s important that the message appears sincere and is timely by sending at the time it is earned.
The online card enables you to easily complete details on a pre-designed card and add a personal message. Once you are happy with the message you can send the card direct to a recipient’s email inbox. Sending an online card also reflects the University’s commitment to environmental sustainability.
For those staff who don’t have access to a PC (either senders or recipients) you can send a printed card. Your Directorate/Faculty/Library or Cultural Institution will have local contacts for these.
What should I say thank you for?
You can say thank you and acknowledge those colleagues that put in extra effort with their work and behaviours.
These may include:
- Staff in public areas demonstrating courtesy and politeness
- Excellent co-operation with colleagues
- Helping colleagues out in difficult circumstances
- Putting in extra effort to share workload with a team
- Delivery of projects to tight timescales
- Treat colleagues, students and external contacts with respect
- Discourage criticism of others
- Represent the University positively at all times
What sort of message should I write in the Thank You Card?
Just keep it simple and to the point. It’s important that the message appears sincere and is timely by
sending at the time it is earned. On the eCards you only have 240 characters to use. You could try:
- “I just want to let you know how much I appreciate….”
- “Thank you for all your work on….”
- “Thank you for all your extra efforts today on….”
- “Thank you for your co-operation today in dealing with …..”
- “Thank you for your excellent report today. It was very clear and ….”
- “Thank you for all the help you gave the students today during……”
- “Thank you for the fantastic service I received today at the ** Café….”
- “Thank you for inspiring others on the team with your co-operative approach.”
Send a thank you card
To show your appreciation to a colleague sign in and send a Thank you card today.
The Thank You Scheme enables managers to give gifts or arrange events for their team members with the approval of their Thank You Scheme Approver.
Processes may be slightly different in each area but the Approver will normally be the Directors of PSS, Faculty Operations, Library or Cultural Institutions. The system for obtaining approval should be quick and simple to ensure that recognition is instant and spontaneous.
Giving gifts or holding celebratory events should be reserved for occasions where a manager feels the actions of an individual or a team are worthy of being singled out . They will need to have done something really special - for example; pulled out all the stops to achieve a task, or consistently gone that extra mile. A gift is a small token of appreciation and should take into account what the member of staff would enjoy. Examples may include:
- Gift vouchers
- A days leave
- Gifts may range from a few pounds upwards, but should not exceed a maximum of £100.
All gifts and events must be recorded on an ongoing basis by the Thank You Scheme Approver on the Monitoring Form. Your local Finance Department are responsible for providing an appropriate activity code for recording Thank You Gifts to be used with ie code 4034 – Staff Thank you Scheme Costs
Please submit completed monitoring forms covering each quarter.
Jan - March - send early April
Apr - June - send early July
July - Sept - send early October
Oct - Dec - send early January
The completed form must be emailed/scanned by the Approver to email@example.com