Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the Staffnet siteSearch StaffNet
Search type

Academic Appeals, Complaints and Misconduct

The University of Manchester is committed to transparent and fair procedures in handling and responding to academic appeals, student complaints, and the conduct and discipline of students. Staff should endeavour to deal with any appeals or complaints as quickly as possible, bearing in mind the time frames laid down in the regulations.

The area of appeals and complaints is overseen by the Teaching and Learning Delivery team (part of the Division of Student and Academic Services), and conduct and discipline of students is overseen by the Advice and Response Team (in the Division of Campus Life).  However there are synergies across the University in these areas of work.

Students should be advised to try to resolve appeals and complaints informally within their School in the first instance.  If students then wish to submit a formal academic appeal or complaint they should do so in writing to their Faculty Office on the appropriate form.

It is important to note that students may not appeal against the academic judgement of a member of staff.

Upon completion of the formal stage, if a student remains dissatisfied with a Faculty’s decision, they may request a review by the Director of Teaching and Learning Support (or nominee).

Once students have been through the full process within the University they may be entitled to take their academic appeal, complaint or conduct related matter to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).

The OIA provides an independent scheme which reviews student complaints against universities. Students can submit complaints to the OIA on various matters including academic appeals, complaints and cases of misconduct.  Normally a student must first complete the internal procedures of a university before complaining to the OIA.

The links on the left menu provide access to the relevant regulations, documentation and reports.

For further information or advice on a specific situation or procedural matter please contact: