Example Risk Assessments
This library contains GENERIC risk assessments for use as a starting point for your own assessments. They must be modified to your work - see Using Generic Risk Assessments for guidance. If an assessment is not provided you must carry out your own, using the University risk assessment form.
- Assistance Dog on Campus
- Needle Stick and sharp removal
- Open Day
- Office Based Staff - Generic example
- Peer Support
- Prayer Room
- Covid return to work
- Academic Advising
- Expectant mother
- Filming (creating video content)
- Halls event
- Halls of Residence Allergy Risk
- International Travel Risk Assessment
- Using Ladders at work
- Lone Working
- Storage at height
- Work Experience Project - Student
- Working in an office environment
Using example risk assessments
- Ensure the assessment uses the current version of the risk assessment form
- Compare the hazards listed with those in your planned work. Delete any not relevant; add others you have identified.
In the section 'Existing measures to control risk':
For hazards listed-
Check you have all the controls (or better) in place for your work. If YES, you can use the assessment.
If NO, make an Action Plan to address any deficiencies (see Section 14 of guidance on use of the assessment form) and record:
- action required,
- person responsible,
- timescale for completion and
- date action completed
- review & update main body of risk assessment when each action completed
Risk assessments should be reviewed in the following three circumstances:
- Following an accident/incident,
- Following significant changes in the way in which the task is conducted, and
- Routinely (before the review date stated on the risk assessment)
For other hazards relating to your work-
List the existing measures you have in place to control the risks (see Sections 11-13 of form guidance).
Are these sufficient to ensure that the remaining risk is either Trivial or Acceptable? If YES, assessment is complete.
If NO, make an Action Plan as above
- When assessment is complete: amend Sections 1 - 6 of the form for your specific use, remove watermark and/or header, save and use in accordance with your local arrangements.
Remember - risk will only be adequately controlled if the 'Existing measures to control risk' apply to your work and are fully implemented, or if your existing measures are equivalent to or better than those listed.
Take action to address any deficiencies before the activity starts
Please note: It is the responsibility of the Line Manager to ensure that the appropriate risk assessments have been completed by a competent person. The Line Manager must authorise the final version before use.
Help and Advice is always available from your DSE H&S Officer or Divisional Safety Advisors, you will also find some useful guidance below: