Winter Graduation – what to expect
07 Dec 2023
Ceremonies take place at Whitworth Hall from Monday, 11 December to Friday, 15 December 2023
We’re looking forward to welcoming the graduating class of winter 2023 to celebrate their success with family and friends from Monday, 11 December.
Graduation is a major undertaking with many colleagues from across our University involved in delivering a truly memorable experience for our graduates. Here is everything you need to know about a busy week ahead on campus:
- Over 4000 students will graduate during the week, receiving postgraduate research, postgraduate taught, masters’ and undergraduate awards.
- There are 29 ceremonies in total. Presiding officers will include Chancellor Nazir Afzaal OBE, President and Vice Chancellor Professor Nancy Rothwell, Vice Presidents and Deans. Academic colleagues representing all the Faculties will also make speeches and present degrees.
- Around 100 Professional Services colleagues and House Services staff will ensure that the ceremonies run like clockwork. A team of students and temporary staff will be at University Place from 7.30am each day, where students will collect tickets, robes and have their photos taken.
- Each student is allocated two guest tickets. Any guests without a ticket can watch a live screening of the ceremonies at Lecture Theatre A in University Place.
- All graduation ceremonies are streamed live online, and graduates will be sharing their stories on our social media channels during the week.
- Post-ceremony celebrations will be centred in a marquee situated outside of University Place, where our Hospitality on Campus team are providing festive-themed refreshments.