The Manchester Christmas Dinner is back!
10 Nov 2022
Get involved! Our first fundraiser is a movie night at the Savoy in Heaton Moor on Wednesday, 16 November
The Manchester Christmas Dinner – hosting young care leavers on Christmas Day – was founded ten years ago by our former Chancellor, poet Lemn Sissay OBE.
Those wonderful Christmas Dinners now happen in many cities and towns across the country, delivering a Christmas Day for care leavers aged 18 to 25, who would otherwise be on their own.
As one attendee put it in 2019: “Having somewhere to go on Christmas Day means so much to me.”
Our University has been the venue for The Manchester Christmas Dinner for several years now and many colleagues get involved in a variety of ways:
- Being members of the steering group that organises the day
- Crafting Christmas stockings and decorations
- Helping decorate the venue
- Wrapping presents
- Driving our guests or delivering pre-Christmas goodies on Christmas Eve
- Being Hosts on Christmas Day
- Cooking Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day
- Helping to clear up post-Christmas
- Buying gifts from our wish list of presents.
This year’s wish list can be found at:
There will be a fundraiser at the Savoy Cinema, Heaton Moor on Wednesday, 16 November, showing the film ‘There’s only one Jimmy Grimble’ – the fairy tale of a shy Manchester boy who dreams of playing for his beloved Manchester City…
You can buy tickets at:
Please come and join us and raise funds for such a great cause and help create the magic.
If you would like to be a volunteer or know anyone to refer as a guest, please visit:
You can find out more about all The Christmas Dinners and The Manchester Dinner at: