Scheme to help students get online
10 Sep 2020
When the University went into lockdown, the Helpmegetonline scheme was launched so that students without a laptop or access to WiFi and were unable to purchase this and fulfilled certain criteria could request the loan of a laptop or a dongle
The scheme has been extended and is now embedded within the IT Support portal. More details on the criteria and how students can access the scheme are listed below.
We can help you get online if you don’t have your own laptop or access to WiFi for your studies. To be considered for this support you need to meet one of the criteria in the first group or have a disability.
If you are a new PGR student and require any assistance with IT equipment or Wi-Fi access, please speak with your Supervisor or Programme Director.
Area/Household Income/Access to funds
- You come from one of the most deprived areas of the UK as indicated by ACORN and LPN data: Check your eligibility
- You are from a low-income background evidenced by receipt of a University scholarship/bursary where financial need is a criteria e.g. The Manchester Bursary, The Manchester Master’s Bursary, the Undergraduate Access Scholarship
- You are in receipt of external financial support which is based on an assessment of financial need e.g. for UK undergraduate students this could mean being eligible for the full maintenance loan.
- You are immediately going into quarantine on arrival to the University.
You identify with one or more of the following groups
- estranged from your family;
- from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller community;
- a sanctuary seeker (currently seeking asylum or have been granted refugee status);
- mature learner and undertaking your first degree if UG.
- You have a disability and are in receipt of, or are entitled to, a personal independence payment or disability living allowance;
- You are in receipt of a Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) or are receiving support from the University’s Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS).
If you meet the criteria and want to request support please complete the form in the Support Portal.
Go to the Support Portal. Once logged in go to ‘Request Support’ then ‘Devices and Printing’ then ‘Student laptop loan and WiFi access’.