Wear a red ribbon for World AIDS Day
30 Nov 2012
1 December is an opportunity for people worldwide to unite in the fight against HIV, show their support for people living with HIV and to commemorate people who have died.
Show your support by wearing a red ribbon or donating to one of the many collection boxes. on campus*.
The University will be supporting World AIDS Day in the following ways:
- Collection boxes and red ribbons for sale at a number of Food on Campus Outlets and building receptions from Monday, 26 November onwards*;
- HIV awareness event in the foyer of the Students’ Union on Friday, 30 November. This event, organised by fourth year students and aimed primarily at the student population, plans to provide education and information on transmission, testing and treatment of the disease, as well as busting some myths and common misconceptions;
- George House Trust members available for advice on HIV.
Did you know:
- HIV transmission is on the increase in Manchester?
- Last year in Manchester over half of the new HIV diagnoses were amongst heterosexual couples?
- HIV remains an incurable lifelong condition, but people diagnosed promptly can expect to remain fit and healthy for many years?
World AIDS Day not only gives us the opportunity to remember those who have been diagnosed with HIV, but it also provides us with a chance to raise money for this cause.
It is vital that AIDS charities and working groups receive sufficient funding:
- to ensure that advances are made to find a cure for HIV;
- to keep raising awareness about the transmission; and
- to fund testing and treatment.
* Available at the following places : Browsers - Sackville St Building; Mumford Restaurant - Staff House; Rock Café - Renold Building; Christie Bistro; Eats - University Place; Tikki@Pi - Alan Turing Building; World Café - Harold Hankins Building; Lime Café - Samuel Alexander Building; Potters- Simon Building; Martin Harris Building; Kaffé K - Humanities Bridgeford Street; Arthur's Brew - Arthur Lewis Building; Atrium Snack Bar - Jean McFarlane Building; Byte Café - Kilburn Building; Library Lounge - University Library; Interface Café - MIB Building; Ask Me Desk - University Place; Michael Smith Building Reception; Stopford Building Reception; Students' Union; Main HR reception - John Owens Building.