Calling all University of Manchester Science Engagement Enthusiasts!
05 Apr 2012
Would you like to be part of the Science Arena at Live from Jodrell Bank on 23 and 24 June?
Live from Jodrell Bank is a new Science/Music festival that was piloted in 2011 with 5000 attendees mixing science and music under the shadow of the University’s amazing Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank.
This year things will be bigger and better! We are running two one-day events each with 10,000 attendees and want to expand the Science Arena so it is a huge showcase of research right across the University and beyond.
We can already confirm that, alongside Jodrell Bank science (naturally) we will be hosting the Wellcome Trust’s In the Zone touring exhibition set up in anticipation of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The wonderful Turing Sunflower project will also be making an appearance!
The Science Arena will run each day from 2pm until early evening – and once you pack things away for the night, you are free to join the crowds and hear the headline bands and the ‘science from the stage’ activities. On 23 June, the headline band will be Elbow and on 24 June the headline act will be Paul Weller. Some support is already announced, but watch this space for more acts as they are announced!
For more exciting details, see the festival website:
The framework is :
- Deadline for registering interest: Friday 13 April;
- Deadline for us confirming your involvement in the Science Arena: Monday 23 April;
- Priority will be given to activities that intend to participate in the Arena on both nights;
- Your ‘stand’ will be outdoors with shelter provided by a ‘fair’ booth (we’re just working out how this will happen). Sorry that there is no indoor space available – the Centre buildings are quite small!
- There is virtually no electricity in the Arena so you need to be stand-alone in terms of power;
- All activities will need to prepare a University-appropriate risk assessment (we can supply templates for this);
- We will be carrying out evaluation on the Arena as a whole and will make this available to all participants in case they would like to use it as part of their REF impact statement;
- Arrangements for access, set-up, parking, take-down etc will be confirmed to participating activities nearer the time.
If you would like to be involved, please register your interest by email to:
- Teresa Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will have a limited number of places available, so please explain what you are intending to do so that we can make decisions on how the whole Arena will hang together.