Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu
Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet
Search type

Switch off and relax

16 Dec 2011

Looking forward to winding down over the Christmas break? Perhaps your PC could also do with a hard earned rest…

hand on mouse

Over the last three months staff PC equipment across campus has been running for over 600,000 hours combined and of this time, only 33% has been whilst in active use – the other 67% being left running, perhaps unnecessarily.

Even equipment that is left on standby or connected at the mains will still be using some energy. As well as having the obvious cost implications, this waste will also be impacting on our environment - leaving just one single PC on over the course of a year creates enough CO2 to fill a double-decker bus!

This Christmas break, please try to remember to switch off (and if easily possible, unplug) your equipment at the mains and allow your PC to relax as well as yourself.