Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet

Check your payslip!

01 Dec 2011

You may have over-paid tax this month because HM Revenue & Customs failed to notify you of a tax code change.

Check your payslip!

The Payroll Office is asking all employees to look at their payslips to check that they are on the same tax code as last month.

Some of you have over-paid tax this month because HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has changed your tax code without informing you first. The Payroll Office has added checks to the normal payroll controls to detect such changes, but some employees have slipped through the net.

The Payroll Office cannot correct the over-payment of tax until documentation is received from HMRC and you are therefore asked to take the following action if your tax code has changed:

  1. Speak to HRMC on 0845 300 0627, giving the University's PAYE reference (080/AZ59379) and your National Insurance number (for Data Protection reasons, HRMC will not speak to the employer about the employees' tax affairs, so the Payroll Office is unable to offer further help).
  2. Tell HMRC that the Payroll Office is happy to receive your corrected details at the following fax number: 0161 275 2147.
  3. eMail your details to CORE.PAYROLLTEAM@MANCHESTER.AC.UK, so that the team can watch out for your new tax code arriving into the office.


Mrs Lisa Boylin
Operational Payroll Manager
G.033 John Owens Building
Tel: 0161 275 2128