Events at Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre
12 Sep 2011
October Family Fun Rocket Week (24-28 October) * A new view of the Universe from the Planck spacecraft (27 October)
October Family Fun Rocket Week!
Monday 24 - Friday 28 October
- 11.30am & 1pm : Science Show – We will take you on a journey through the solar system where you will experience explosions, take part in experiments and even get to launch your own rocket! (Suitable for 4 years+)
- 2pm : Ask an Expert – Hear about our research and get your questions answered by a Jodrell Bank scientist or engineer.
- 3pm : ‘Silsila’ – view art installation ‘Silsila’ – a sufi-inspired cosmic journey in sound, created in collaboration between artists, Tasawar Bashir and Brian Duffy and Jodrell Bank Astrophysicist Tim O’Brien (part of the Asia Triennial Manchester 2 arts festival)
- All day : Arts and crafts
Lovell Lecture series - Back by popular demand!
Talk: A new view of the Universe from the Planck spacecraft
Thursday 27 October (7.30pm)
- Dr Clive Dickinson - The University of Manchester
About the Lecture:
The Planck satellite was launched by ESA in May 2009. It has been successfully scanning the sky since September 2009, using the latest technology and most sensitive instruments built at microwave wavelengths. It will provide the ultimate full-sky maps of the cosmic microwave background - the fading glow of the Big Bang which we see all around us.
In this lecture, Dr Clive Dickinson will describe the Planck mission, including its technology, its goals, and what we might expect to learn from the data. He will also discuss early results from Planck which highlight the richness of science that can come from mapping the sky at these wavelengths.
Please call 01477 571 766 for tickets - limited spaces available
- Adults £6.50
- Concession / Children (suitable for 15+) £4.50
Dinner should be pre booked with sittings at 6pm, 6.15pm, 6.30pm and 6.45pm. Space is limited to 50 people. All food to be paid for in advance. Payment can to be made by cheque payable to the Modern Caterer, debit or credit card. Final bookings must be made and paid for by 20 October 2011. Drinks will be available for purchase on the night.
For the menu, please visit: