Better shred than read
10 Jun 2010
Secure disposal of confidential information
New guidelines are now available to all staff on the secure disposal of confidential information.
Staff are being urged to make sure that documents containing confidential information are shredded and not put in the blue bag recycling collection by Estates as this does not provide a sufficiently secure disposal route.
The guidelines issued by the Compliance and Risk Office have been made available online at:
- Examples of confidential information
- How to choose whether to use a shredding machine or on-site shredding service
- Features to consider when buying a shredding machine
- University-approved suppliers of shredding services
- How to dispose of data held on PCs, CDs etc
If you do not already have access to a shredding machine or service, you are advised to consult with colleagues in the same building first, as you may be able to share facilities.