Integrating technology into researcher training
07 Apr 2010
A Vitae North West Hub good practice workshop on 27 May
27 May 2010, 10.30am-3.30pm
The University of Manchester
Do you want to know more about online tools, in particular:
- How your researchers are using them to communicate and collaborate?
- How they can help you reduce the administrative burden of evaluating training?
- How to use them to promote your training programmes?
- How to use them to engage your researchers in the researcher development agenda?
The purpose of this workshop is to share good practice on the use of technology in researcher training and allow participants to enhance their skills in this area.
Trainers and other support staff involved with the personal and professional development of early career researchers and academics.
What will the workshop cover?
- Case studies highlighting the uses of technology in training
- A practical session covering the key skills when integrating technology into trainingGroup discussions to identify and explore effective use of technology in training
To attend this free NW Hub workshop, please complete the online booking form at:
The deadline for registration is 30 April 2010.
10am Registration and refreshments
10.30am Welcome and introduction
10.35am Case studies: Uses of technology in researcher training
- 10.35am It's not about technology, it's about a better way to do research: Engaging researchers in the social web through Vitae's Digital Researcher - Dr Tristram Hooley, University of Derby
- 10.50am Research Students eWriting Programme - Dr Daniel Soule, Glasgow Caledonian University
- 11.05am Teaching and Administering Graduate Training in Historical Methods: Using a Ning Network at Edinburgh - Dr Adam Budd, University of Edinburgh
- 11.20am A shared space for learning about your and other people’s research - Ms Cristina Costa, University of Salford
- 11.35am Blogging for researcher training - Dr Emily Bannister, The University of Manchester
11.50am Practical demonstration session: A chance to practice using relevant tools to help you:
- manage the vast amount of information available on the web
- deliver and evaluate researcher training programmes
1.45pm Sharing practice session: Group discussions to identify and explore effective use of technology in training programmes