Altrincham Metrolink service: update
01 Sep 2009
Trams running between Timperley and St Peter's Square
Due to a mechanical fault on the overhead line between Navigation Road and Timperley, the Altrincham Metrolink service is operating only between Timperley and St Peter's Square. The Eccles line has been operating as normal since 1 September, when both lines re-opened after a one-month refurbishment programme.
Engineers are working to restore a full service as soon as possible, but their access is limited by the strict safety regulations of Network Rail, who run heavy train services on this stretch of track 24 hours a day.
Trams are now running every twelve minutes between the Timperley and St Peter's Square stops.
The X5 and X6 replacement bus services, which have been operating throughout August, are continuing to run between Altrincham Interchange and Manchester city centre, but are also providing a shuttle service to connect with tram services at Timperley.
The replacement bus services are currently running as follows:
Friday 4 September
- The X5 bus replacement service will operate every 10 minutes during the morning and evening peaks from Altrincham to Piccadilly. Between the peaks the service will run every 20 minutes. After 7pm it will run every 30 minutes.
- A Stagecoach shuttle bus will run between Altrincham and Timperley every five minutes during the peaks, and every 10 minutes in between.
- Please note that some services may be operated by Stagecoach buses, and display METROLINK.
Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 September
- A Stagecoach shuttle bus will run between Altrincham and Timperley every 10 minutes all day.
Services on both the Altrincham and the Eccles lines will be free until the close of service on Sunday 6 September. Passengers on the Bury line who are planning to travel on Altrincham or Eccles services during that time are advised to buy tickets to Manchester Victoria only.
Weekly, four-weekly or season ticket holders can claim a refund for travel on the lines during this period by writing, by 30 September, to:
- Customer Relations, GMPTE, Freepost MR7 116, Manchester, M1 9QL
A copy of the ticket and the ticket holder's name and address should be included.
The latest information is available online at: