Introducing the Manchester Graduate Internship Programme
01 May 2009
Find out how MGIP can help your HR needs
After a successful pilot year, the MLP Careers & Employability Division is pleased to launch the 2009/10 Manchester Graduate Internship Programme (MGIP).
In response to a growing demand from our students to remain in Manchester post-graduation and start their careers in our city, we introduced MGIP in June 2008.
The programme establishes short term, paid internships exclusively for University of Manchester graduates. Our aim is to improve the employability of our graduates by providing them with access to vital work experience and the opportunity to develop key skills.
In our pilot year we established over 40 internships throughout all sectors and across Greater Manchester. The University was a key supporter, offering 18 internships in total.
MGIP internships within the University can last 4–12 months and can start any time from June through to December. Positions and salaries must be agreed with local HR managers.
Key benefits to University colleagues:
- nurture home-grown talent & contribute to the future employability of OUR graduates
- provide short-term cover for staff absence (long term sickness, maternity)
- a flexible option for covering project work or providing cover at busy times
- draw on the knowledge of someone who has experience of our University but can bring new perspectives, insights and ideas
Colleagues from schools, faculties & institutes found that MGIP offered an ideal solution to recruitment and resourcing needs. Internships offered within the University included:
- DARO: 3 x Admin Assistant interns
- FLS: PG Research Admin intern
- Joule Centre: x 2 interns in Admin & Research
- Manchester Business School, Web Officer intern
- Manchester Informatics: Admin Assistant intern
- MHS: Information Systems Service Desk Analyst & Research Assistant interns
- School of Art, Histories and Cultures: Assessment Officer intern
- School of Nursing: Student Support Officer intern
- Whitworth Art Gallery: 3 x Fundraising, Interpretation, Image Assistant interns
"The scheme has been excellent for us; we received many good quality applications and it has been a pleasure to work with such an enthusiastic intern. We have been able to support areas where more hands have been required for specific events such as delivering postgraduate workshops and undergraduate student visit days."
Anna Lawless, Head of Postgraduate Research Services, FLS
"A clear benefit of the MGIP programme is for recent graduates to gain work experience within an environment which they are familiar with and therefore quickly develop their confidence and skills in the work environment. The University benefits from having enthusiastic members of staff who can assist in the development of processes through their recent experience as customer."
Jane Hallam, Head of School Administration, SAHC
If you are interested in finding out more about how MGIP could help meet your HR needs please contact:
- Anna Lomas on ext 52828 or email email@example.com