Communications Matters Workshops in January/February.
18 Dec 2008
‘Improve Your Writing Skills’ with Phil Radcliffe.
We have a few remaining places on the Improve Your Writing Skills Workshops. The sessions are being held on:
- Monday 26 January 2009, 12noon - 2pm
- Monday 23 February 2009, 12noon - 2pm
The sessions are both the same, so you only need to attend one of them.
If you would like to book a place, contact:
- Emma Rygielska, Staff Training and Development Unit, on 306 5845 or firstname.lastname@example.org (please state which date you would like to attend)
'Improve Your Writing Skills' will be of interest to anyone who is responsible for producing any type of written communication as part of their job here at the University.
Perhaps you have to write letters, newsletter articles or brochure copy and would like some tips on how to make sure you’re getting your message across clearly and concisely? If you're regularly writing to colleagues, students, suppliers or customers, then this could be the course for you.
There will be plenty of advice and tips on offer and opportunities for you to practice your skills through written exercises and lively discussion.
Among other things, the course will look at:
- How to deliver messages and instructions clearly
- Tone, style and structure of written work
- Using active and positive words to interest your audience
- How to avoid using jargon and over-complicated language
- How to deliver bad news or apologise
- Understanding the importance of proof reading
The sessions are being led by Phil Radcliffe, who has been a consultant and trainer for the Plain English Campaign and has many years of experience as a journalist and working in public relations.