Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet

Out of hours events in centrally timetabled space.

30 Oct 2008

Announcing the introduction of an improved service.

The Directorate of Estates has recently reviewed its procedures for out of hours events in centrally timetabled space. As a result of this, it is intended to introduce several improvements to how the service is delivered.

University staff wishing to book an out of hours event in a centrally timetabled room are likely to be allocated space in either Renold Building, Roscoe Building, Samuel Alexander Building or University Place. There are a number of reasons behind this, namely:

  • by concentrating bookings in only four buildings will allow the Directorate to dedicate its resources to ensuring the highest possible standard can be achieved;
  • fewer buildings are required to be open each evening, removing the need to heat as many buildings into the evening;
  • to address issues of staff from House Services and the Media Centre being available during these hours.

Furthermore, the House Services Unit has been restructured to ensure that there is a dedicated resource to co-ordinate Estates-related events matters. Once a provisional booking is made via the Central Timetabling Unit, an events co-ordinator will be allocated to the event.

Anyone booking events out of hours needs to be aware that, in order to cover operational costs, there will be a charge for Building Attendants and Fire Marshals. However, the Teaching Support Services Unit is now providing a free on-call audio visual service between 5pm and 9pm, Monday to Thursday nights, for any problems that may arise with the audio visual equipment in central teaching space. When an audio visual technician is required to be present for the duration of the event, a charge will apply.

We believe that the recent changes will enhance the service that the Directorate provides in respect of out of hours events. If you have any further queries about these changes, please contact: