Events at the Martin Harris Centre.
16 Apr 2008
Concerts, BBC Phil visit and Quatuor Danel Open House weekend.
The Martin Harris Centre's season of events continues this week with the following:
- Thursday 17 April at 1.10pm - Mieko Kanno and Richard Casey. The next in our continuing series of FREE lunchtime concerts, this is the second to mark the approach of Elliott Carter's one hundredth birthday featuring two wonderfully different virtuosic pieces for violin and piano - Beethoven's Sonata for piano and violin No 9 in A 'Kreutzer' and Elliott Carter's Duo (1974) for violin and piano.
- Friday 18 April at 7pm - The Mancester University Brass Ensemble in concert. Tom Brewster and Adam Cooke conduct two pieces - Jeffrey Agrell's Jive Concerto and Elgar Howarth's Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. The Ensemble are joined by the Cardiff County and Vale of Glamorgan Symphonic Brass.
- Thursday 24 April at 1.10pm - the first of two concerts next week by The University of Manchester's internationally renowned resident string quartet - Quatuor Danel. They present Haydn's Quartet in D, Op. 76 No. 5 and Weinberg's Quartet No. 12, Op. 103 (UK premiere) - tickets are FREE.
- Friday 25 April at 7pm - Quatuor Danel's second concert with a bonanza of electro-acoustic and sonoristic quartets - please check our website for further details.
- Wednesday 7 May at 7pm - A return visit from the BBC Philharmonic. Gianandrea Noseda, Chief Conductor of the BBC Philharmonic, introduces players from the Orchestra in the next of a continuing series of chamber concerts. The programme will be Mendelssohn's String Octet and Shostakovich's Two Pieces for String Octet, Op. 11, Prelude and Scherzo. These concerts give you the chance to hear Gianandrea talk about the Orchestra's work, hear some exceptional playing from our players, enjoy a free glass of wine after the concert and an opportunity to talk to the BBC Philharmonic players and Gianandrea.
Looking further ahead, we have just announced details of the Quatuor Danel Open House weekend which is taking place from Friday 13 to Sunday 15 June at the Martin Harris Centre. This three-day event is a fabulous music-making opportunity with the Quatuor Danel and Professor David Fanning coaching students and members of the public, directing sight-seeing sessions and taking part in informal concerts alongside those ensembles who wish to perform in public.
For more details, please visit:
If you would like to join our mailing list or would like any brochures to display in or around your workplace, please email:
To make a booking enquiry or to obtain further information, telephone:
- Box Office on 0161 275 8951