The Professional Development Network
25 Jul 2007
Action learning opportunities for all staff in the University
The University of Manchester 'Professional Development Network' has been established for 12 months and uses the principles of action learning to promote professional and personal development. Open to all staff within the University, the network offers individuals the opportunity to:
- Focus on real work issues;
- Reflect with peers and find solutions together;
- Try out new approaches and methods;
- Report back on the impact of the actions taken.
Action learning is a process in which a group of people come together to form an action learning set (ALS) more or less regularly to help each other to learn from their experience.
Staff involved in the network can benefit from developing the following skills and outcomes:
- Listening and coaching skills;
- Increased motivation and confidence;
- Insight into other facilities/cultures/grades/jobs;
- Feeling of being able to help;
- Setting and achieving goals and objectives;
- A support group.
If you feel that this type of development activity would be useful then please register your interest by e-mailing:
- email@example.com quoting the 'Professional Development Network - BF54' by 31 August 2007
If you require any further information, please e-mail Staff Development Advisor, Denise Fieldhouse at: