New Challenge Leads for Sustainable Futures
07 Jan 2022
Announcing the appointment of leads for the five Sustainable Futures Challenge Areas
They will be working closely with Prof Mike Shaver, Director of Sustainable Futures, to support the implementation of the Sustainable Futures strategy, vision and planned activities for the platform.
The five appointments are:
- Dr Kate Scott, Presidential Fellow, Faculty of Humanities | Net-zero futures
- Dr Helen Holmes, Lecturer in Sociology, Faculty of Humanities | Inclusive and prosperous futures
- Dr Alejandro Gallego Schmid, Senior Lecturer in Circular Economy and Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment, Faculty of Science and Engineering | Resourceful futures
- Professor Holly Shiels, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health | Healthy futures
- Dr Tim Foster, Senior Lecturer in Water-Food Security, Faculty of Science and Engineering | Resilient futures
Together with University research leaders, they will aim to integrate the unprecedented range of environmental sustainability expertise, helping to facilitate highly interdisciplinary research and impact, and strengthening connections between our research institutes, centres, research groups, and individual researchers working to address different aspects of the climate crisis.
The goal is to help identify new research agendas as well as deliver on current ones, extend the scope of our environmental expertise and impact of Sustainable Futures, and deliver solutions into practice rapidly through unique established capabilities.