Staff election to the General Assembly
07 Dec 2021
Four appointments confirmed and nominations period extended until 14 December 2021
The General Assembly provides the interface between our University and the wider community, acting as a two-way channel of communication and enabling our University to present its achievements to, and receive feedback and advice from stakeholders.
Nominations for eight vacancies available on the General Assembly opened on the 22 November 2021. In the two week nomination period, which closed on 6 December 2021, the following were received:
- Three nominations for the four vacant positions on the General Assembly in the Professional Services (PS) staff group grades 1-5.
- One nomination for the two vacant positions in the PS staff group grades 6 and above.
- No nominations for the two vacant positions for Academic and Research staff.
The four candidates nominated before the deadline are all therefore deemed to be appointed to the General Assembly without the need for an election in accordance with Regulation III of The University of Manchester - General Regulations. The four members are:
- Catherine Millan - PS Staff Grade 6 and above.
- Zoe Papageorgiou - PS Staff Grade 1-5.
- Mark Scoular - PS Staff Grade 1-5.
- Daniel Shipman - PS Staff Grade 1-5.
As stipulated in Regulation III, the nominations period will now be extended for a further week, until Tuesday 14 December at 12 noon, and staff who have not yet done so are encouraged to submit a nomination. We welcome nominations from all sections of our University community, regardless of age, sex, gender (or gender identity), ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status.
If more nominations than vacancies are received in any of the above categories there will be an election in each of the categories where this applies. If the number of nominations received in any of the above categories equates to the number of vacancies then candidates in the categories where this applies will be declared elected. If there are still vacancies after the week’s extension in any of the categories, then these will be carried over until next year.