Invitation to Debating Matters Competition
10 Apr 2007
Watch schools compete in regional final at Museum of Science and Industry on 16 April
The Institute of Ideas and Pfizer Debating Matters Competition†- North West and North Wales Regional Final is at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, on Monday 16 April 2007, from 10.30am until 5.30pm and we would like to invite you to attend and participate in the debates as audience members.
This year's competition involves 124 schools who have taken part in 32 qualifying rounds across the country - from Dundee to Brighton. Each of the qualifying round winners have now gained a place at one of the eight Regional Finals, which will be taking place at prestigious venues across the country over March and April.
Having won each of their qualifying heats, four schools from the North West and North Wales will compete in three consecutive debates to win a place at the competition's prestigious London National Final in June, as well as £1000 worth of book vouchers from the competition's prize sponsor, the educational publishers Hodder Murray. The debate motions for the day will be:
- Debate 1 10.30am-11.40am 'Books should remain the essence of public libraries.'
- Debate 2 11.50am-1pm 'Scientists should adopt the precautionary principle.'
- Tiebreak 2.10pm-3.20pm 'Physician assisted suicide should remain illegal.'
- Final 2.10pm-3.30pm (no tiebreak) OR 3.40pm-5pm (in case of tiebreak): 'Britain should apologise for its role in the slave trade.'
If you would like to attend, please RSVP to:
- Helen Birtwistle at†email@example.com or 020 7269 9232
The Institute of Ideas and Pfizer Debating Matters Competition is supported by a Wellcome Trust Engaging Science Society Award.