Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Search the University of Manchester siteSearch Menu StaffNet

Information on domestic abuse

15 Jan 2021

For anyone experiencing domestic abuse, working from home can be difficult and they may require support during this time

For some people, work is a safe space – the prospect of having to work from home or have an extended period away from work will be an intimidating one. Signs of domestic abuse which may have been spotted by work colleagues will no longer be as obvious.  

If you are experiencing domestic abuse or are concerned about a colleague please remember that our University has guidance for our staff and their managers. We also have colleagues in Human Resources who are trained in issues relating to domestic abuse.  

If you are a member of staff who is experiencing domestic abuse, please note the following sources of help: 

  • The Bright Sky mobile app, free to download from the App Store or Google Play, provides support and information to anyone who may be experiencing domestic abuse or is concerned about someone they know. If you don't feel comfortable downloading the app, visit the Bright Sky website for more information. 
  • The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is available 24-hours a day, for free and in confidence on 0808 2000 247.
  • Further support services from the Employers’ Initiative on Domestic Violence.

If serious abuse is reported to you or to a colleague, advise your employee to contact the police on 101. 

**If the situation is critical, call 999 and ask for the police.**

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone you can then press 55. This will transfer the call to the relevant police force who will assist you without you having to speak.

Line managers should maintain regular contact with their team members as part of good management practice.  If you lose touch with employees, please take action to re-establish contact. 

If you are concerned about someone that works for you and want more advice on what to do, please contact your HR Partner in the first instance.