Staff leavers: Returning IT equipment
29 Jul 2020
Colleagues leaving the University can book to visit campus and return IT equipment to IT Services
Starting on Friday 31 July, IT Services will be running an IT equipment returns service in The Atrium (ground floor) of the Alan Turing building. This is primarily for people leaving the University who have University IT equipment at home.
To ensure that we can operate in a safe and managed way, you are required to book in advance using Eventbrite. You can choose a morning (9am until 12noon) or an afternoon (1pm until 4pm) session. Whereas we have restricted the number of people at each session, and will be operating two returns desks, you will be required to wait in a socially distant queue until called forward.
Slots are available to book for weekdays between Friday 31 July and Friday 14 August inclusive. After this date, if you need to return IT equipment to IT Services (for example a University laptop that you no longer need, or is broken and needs repairing), please login to the Support Portal and complete the Request a laptop or return IT equipment form.
What must I do to prepare my device for return?
- Remove all personal files/pictures.
- Complete a factory reset on any Apple devices (instructions on the Apple website - make sure you remove the device from your iTunes account before resetting it).
- Clean and sanitise the device/equipment.
- Transport in suitable packaging (preferably something that can be left with IT Services).
- Remember to bring all cables and accessories, such as power packs, monitor cables, docking stations, keyboard and mouse.
All returned equipment will be ‘validated’ against records in the IT asset management system.
What do I need to do when I arrive?
- A member of IT staff will be at the door of the Alan Turing Building to let you in and tell you what to do.
- You will need to follow social distancing throughout your visit.
- You will need to wear a face mask (unless you are exempt).
- If you are shielding or vulnerable and don’t want to visit campus, you can send someone else on your behalf. Please ensure they read this note beforehand.
- Please check StaffNet for the latest information on University car parks. At the time of writing the barriers remain raised at Charles Street, Dilworth Street, Cecil Street and Dover Street car parks. NCP have also now reopened the Aquatics Centre car park, but the barriers are in operation.
- Note that you won’t be able to visit your office or other buildings during your visit – this has to be arranged separately with your Directorate/School/Faculty.
All appropriate risk assessments have been completed and the service has been approved by the campus reopening group. Further information on visiting campus safely is available.
I need to return a mobile phone. What do I do?
Mobile phones are purchased and owned locally in Directorates, Faculties and Schools, but if you are leaving the University you can return them to IT Services along with your IT equipment. Please complete a factory reset on the device before returning it.
How do I book?
I still have questions
Help and support
If you need IT help and support, please contact the IT Support Centre: