Advice for staff on safety and security on campus
16 Jan 2020
Reporting suspicious activity or behaviour
Our University’s first priority is always the safety and security of staff, students and visitors to our campus. Our Security team is available on campus 24/7 and can provide an immediate response.
If you see anything that causes you concern or which you feel is suspicious, contact Security on 0161 306 9966. This number is also on the back of your staff identity card.
As always, in an emergency situation, contact the Police on 999 first and then inform University Security.
What should I report?
You should report suspicious activity or behaviour – anything that seems out of place, unusual or just doesn’t seem to fit in with everyday life. These are just some examples of suspicious activity and behaviour which could potentially be terrorist related:
- Anyone hiring or acquiring large vehicles or similar for no obvious reason
- Anyone buying or storing a large amount of chemicals, fertilisers or gas cylinders for no obvious reasons
- Anyone taking notes or photos of security arrangements, or inspecting CCTV in an unusual way
- Anyone visiting the dark web, ordering unusual items online or carrying out unusual bank transactions
- Anyone who has illegal firearms or other weapons or has shown an interest in obtaining them
- Anyone holding passports or other documents in different names, for no obvious reasons
- Anyone who goes away traveling for long periods of time but is vague about where they’re going