Applications for the Erasmus+ Staff Mobility Scheme open
15 Nov 2019
Are you interested in spending a short period of time teaching or training in another European country?
The Erasmus+ Staff Mobility scheme is administered by the International Programmes Office, and allows staff to undertake a period of teaching or training in a participating European country during the 2019/20 academic year. All successful applicants are eligible to receive a financial contribution towards their travel and subsistence expenses.
The scheme is split into two strands:
- Teacher Mobility (for academic staff only), which provides funding to teach at another European university for a short period of time.
- Staff Training (for non-academic or academic staff), which provides funding for staff to acquire training at another university or enterprise, which can be applied to their current position at the University. Training may include: job-shadowing, language training, workshops or courses. The training period can be from 2 working days to 2 months.
Erasmus+ Staff Mobility funding cannot be used to support conference attendance.
All academic and Professional Services staff directly employed by The University of Manchester are eligible to apply for funding, regardless of pay grade. If you are on a fixed-term contract, your activity must be completed before your contract runs out.
Participating in the Erasmus+ Staff Mobility scheme is an excellent opportunity to enhance personal and professional development, and allows staff to develop and share knowledge relevant to their area of work. Previous examples of activities funded by the scheme include:
- A visit to Lund University in Sweden by a recent graduate intern, in order to learn about Lund’s mentoring scheme for international students with the aim of implementing a similar scheme at Manchester.
- One of SALC’s Research Grant Writers spent a week in Germany receiving training on writing bids for high value research projects.
- An academic from Physics spent 10 days at Lisbon University teaching on a Cosmology course.
We are holding information sessions on the following dates where you can find out more about the application process and benefits of participating:
- Friday, 29 November: 1pm – 2pm
- Tuesday, 10 December: 12pm – 1pm
To sign up to a session, or to obtain an application pack, please contact Victoria Rowlands, International Programmes Administrator.
How does Brexit affect applications?
With the terms of the UK’s departure from the EU still uncertain, there are several points to bear in mind if you are considering undertaking Erasmus+ staff mobility in 2019/20. Funding for Erasmus+ staff mobility has been underwritten and therefore approved placements will receive funding regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.
When planning a staff mobility, you should consult the current Brexit-related advice for the country you are planning to visit to ensure you are aware of any additional or changing requirements in relation to areas such as immigration, international travel (especially considering potential disruption), regulations around driving abroad and health insurance.
If you have any questions or concerns about your staff mobility preparations in relation to Brexit, please do contact the International Programmes Office.