Applications for Manchester Access Programme 2020 are now open
06 Nov 2019
The scheme helps students that meet the background criteria achieve entry to university
The Manchester Access Programme (MAP), The University of Manchester’s flagship widening participation scheme for local Year 12 students, is now open for applications.
The aim of the programme is to help students, who meet specific academic and background criteria, achieve entry to The University of Manchester or another research-intensive university. This is achieved through the completion of a portfolio of work demonstrating specific knowledge and skills.
If you work with Year 12 students in Greater Manchester or know a Year 12 student that wants to come to The University of Manchester, please share this information with them.
If students successfully complete the programme, there are three main benefits:
- They receive advice and guidance in completing their UCAS application and personal statement. If they decide to apply to The University of Manchester, they’ll also receive an early decision on their application
- All students who successfully complete MAP and start an undergraduate course at The University of Manchester will receive the Undergraduate Access Scholarship (currently £1000)
- Students from households with incomes below £25,000 per year will receive the award for each year of their study
MAP students are eligible to receive a reduced offer of up to two A-level grades (or equivalent, depending on the qualifications they study) below the standard entry offer, reflecting the work they undertake completing the programme successfully
In addition to this, MAP students will also gain:
- A vast array of skills that will ensure they’re prepared for university, from time management and team working, to research and presentation skills
- Experience in different types of teaching and learning at university
- An understanding of the different courses available and an awareness what it’s like to be a university student
Applications are now being accepted. Please note: applications are not considered on a first-come first-served basis. All applications will be considered equally once entry closes on Friday, 13 December at 5pm. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in February 2020.
The MAP team are currently in the process of delivering information talks in schools, colleges and community centres across Greater Manchester. We’re more than happy to speak to you, or directly to any eligible Year 12 students you work with, about the programme and how to apply.
Please do not hesitate to email us with any queries or call us on +44 (0)161 306 6505.