Hospitality and events team shortlisted for Sustainable Business Awards
04 May 2018
Organised by The Caterer, the UK’s most prestigious hospitality and catering awards showcase innovative brands and trail-blazing people from across the industry
Hospitality and Events operates our cafés, restaurants, and hospitality services across campus, and a number of initiatives have been introduced over the last five years to recognise our Goal 3 Social Responsibility commitments.
- Meat Free Mondays
- Introduction of organic milk and 54% of our beef is organic in catered halls
- Formed a partnership with Manchester Veg Box Scheme
- Food waste recycling in all our kitchens across campus
- Opened a Vegetarian Café on campus
- Implemented a Land Army Student volunteer scheme
- Daily Vegan option and Wonky Veg campaign in catered halls
- Paid the National Living Wage Foundation rate to all catering staff
- Introduction of compostable hot drinks cups and takeaway packaging, re-usable mugs and water bottles
- Food waste is donated to Humanity Giving Back, distributing to organisations who support vulnerable people across Manchester
Alison Shedlock, Head of Hospitality & Events said: “We are thrilled that the University Hospitality and Events team have been shortlisted as a finalist in the 2018 Cateys, the UK’s most prestigious hospitality and catering awards.
"This highlights our continued commitment to providing our customers with the best quality food, drink and service whilst remaining completely focussed on our value of sustainability and the University's wider goal of social responsibility.”