GDPR: Protecting your personal data
07 Mar 2018
Mandatory training for all members of staff
Have you completed your Data Protection training? Did you know this is a mandatory requirement for all staff members with access to University systems?
The requirement to complete the Data Protection training course in the last two years comes as new regulations come into force on 25 May 2018.
GDPR, or General Data Protection Regulations, will be accompanied by a new UK Data Protection Act. The new law is all about person identifying information (PII) and the way that this is collected, stored and used. It requires organisations that use PII to be transparent in explaining each of these uses to people; to provide choices about these where appropriate to do so; to keep it securely; to only collect and retain the minimum amount of PII necessary to carry out their functions and to only retain it for as long as required.
This reinforces much of the current Data Protection Act but there are also specific elements and enhancements being brought in which means we have to do some things differently.
What does it mean for me?
The University is addressing some of the new requirements centrally but there are also some things that every single member of staff has to do to ensure we are compliant:
- All staff are expected to undertake mandatory Data Protection training every two years – this is a condition of access to University IT systems
- Everyone is responsible for the University data (information) files or documents they store either on their computer, email or as a physical copy in their offices, labs or even at home.
- You are also responsible for reporting any incidents to the University where personal data may have been compromised.
We will be sharing further information on exactly what you need to do in due course but in the meantime head to My Manchester and complete the online Data Protection e-learning course.
You can access this training (Code TBF26) from your training catalogue in My Manchester: https://app.manchester.ac.uk/TBF26
Already completed the course?
If you have completed the course in the last two years, you don’t need to complete it again until your two years are up. You can check if you have completed it and when on My Manchester.
- Access the training course
- Check if you’ve completed the course
- Information Governance Guardians – members of staff in each area of the University who can provide help and guidance over the coming weeks and months.
- Information Governance Office – the central office who are ensuring the University is ready and compliant by 25 May.
- Report an incident