Teaching Excellence Awards 2017
24 Jan 2017
Submissions invited for awards showcasing good teaching, learning and student experience
Submissions are invited for the 2017 University of Manchester Teaching Excellence Awards.
The Teaching Excellence Awards focus on achievement in relation to teaching, learning and the student experience over recent years. A case should include evidence of an academically rigorous approach, coherence and evaluation of activity.
The Award consists of a £5,000 grant to be used by recipients to develop teaching and learning activities or to support their own career development in this area. The period of award is three years. The University makes around six awards annually and may also issue commendations at the discretion of the decision panel.
Both academic and related colleagues involved in the delivery of teaching or the preparation of material for teaching at undergraduate or postgraduate levels are eligible for these awards.
The awards will be decided by a panel chaired by the Vice-President (Teaching, Learning and Students) or his nominee. The panel will have representation from across the University.
The criteria for award are:
- Individual Excellence: evidence of promoting and enhancing the student experience.
- Raising the Profile of Excellence: evidence of supporting colleagues and influencing support for student learning in (and, if appropriate, beyond) the University, through demonstrating impact and engagement beyond the nominee's immediate academic or professional role.
- Developing Excellence: the nominee's commitment to her/his ongoing professional development with regard to teaching and learning and/or learning support.
These criteria are based on the criteria used by the Higher Education Academy for the National Teaching Fellowship Scheme.
Nominations should be sent to the listed Faculty administrative contact by the Faculty-specific date:
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
Rosemary Tomkinson email@example.com by Monday, 27 March 2017 (FSE provide additional support once nominees have been decided)
- Faculty of Humanities
Carol Rowlinson firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 27 April 2017
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
Wayne Bulbrook email@example.com by Tuesday, 25 April 2017
- University Library, Cultural Institutions, Non-Faculty Professional Support Services
firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 28 April 2017
For further information on the operation of the Teaching Excellence Awards, visit: