Nominate your outstanding alumni for our 2017 awards
16 Dec 2016
Outstanding Alumni Awards are presented to Manchester graduates who have achieved distinction in their profession, through exemplary service to the University or the wider community or through outstanding service of a personal or humanitarian nature
The Awards were initiated by our founding universities and the first recipient was Sir Terry Leahy, former Chief Executive of Tesco plc (UMIST) and film director Barry Purves (Victoria University of Manchester).
The awards are presented annually either during the July graduation ceremonies or at a mutually convenient time and we aim to have one recipient for each Faculty per year.
They are presented to alumni who have achieved distinction:
- in their fields or professions;
- through exemplary service to the University or the wider community;
- through outstanding service of a personal or humanitarian nature locally, nationally or internationally.
Career achievement (as opposed to length of career) should be a key factor in the nominations. We would hope to involve recipients in student experience and employability initiatives, such as delivering talks, seminars, workshops or Q and A sessions either on the day of the award or at a later date.
In 2016, Outstanding Alumni Awards were awarded to:
- Gareth Owen, OBE, Humanitarian Director of Save the Children UK (BEng Civil Engineering 1990);
- Karen O'Neill, Senior Nurse - emergency and humanitarian care (BNurs Nursing 2003, MA Humanitarianism and Conflict Response 2012);
- Alison Nimmo CBE, Chief Executive of the Crown Estate (BA Hons, Town and Country Planning 1985, BPI Planning 1986);
- Deborah Cohen MBE, BBC Radio Science Editor (MSc Liberal Studies in Science 1979);
- Imran Hakim, Entrepreneur (BSc Hons Optometry and Vision Sciences 1999).
Read biographies of our Outstanding Alumni Award winners on Your Manchester Online:
Submit an application
For further information and an application form, please contact:
- Olivia O'Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for nominations is Monday, 20 February 2017.