We’re well on our way to 10,000 Actions
14 Dec 2016
More than a thousand members of staff from across the University have already engaged with 10,000 Actions, our environmental sustainability signature programme and completed an action plan
The top three selected issues so far are:
- Environmental sustainability should be embedded into everyday management and strategy processes.
- I do recycle but there is probably more I could do to reduce waste.
- I care about where the things we use come from.
The top three completed actions currently are:
- Use a refillable water bottle.
- Sign up to the Social Responsibility newsletter.
- Visit Whitworth Park and Art Gallery gardens.
Many staff are using the quieter period just before and just after Christmas closure to start their action plan. If you haven’t yet taken part in 10,000 Actions, did you realise that:
- It takes around one hour to complete, but you do not have to complete it in one sitting. For example, you could do 15 minutes a day over a few days.
- The videos are fully subtitled, just click the rectangle on the bottom right of the videos to display the text.
- For every completed action plan, £1 will be donated towards tree planting in Manchester that will support cleaner air in our city and improve wellbeing for residents.
- 10,000 Actions is an award-winning, accredited carbon literacy programme, so all staff members who have taken part can receive their own carbon literacy certificate after completing a questionnaire to demonstrate knowledge of sustainability.
Different areas of the University have come up with some very inventive ways to take part and even taken the opportunity to use it as a way of bringing staff together:
- One PSS Directorate is encouraging everyone in the team to do it on the same day in December and discuss and share their plans along the way.
- In one academic School, staff took part during a coffee morning and used it as a networking event.
- Staff in the Directorate of Estates and Facilities who do not have access to a computer have been completing a paper version of the plan in groups this week.
To take part in 10,000 Actions, make a start today by visiting:
Follow and share
You can also follow the University’s engagement with environmental sustainability at @UoMsust and share your actions using the hashtag #10000Actions on Twitter or Instagram.