Review of Faculty of Science and Engineering
06 Dec 2016
The Vice-President and Dean of Science and Engineering has initiated a review of the current School structure within the Faculty of Science and Engineering to establish whether there are more effective and efficient ways of delivering Manchester 2020
This Review has the full support of the University’s Senior Leadership Team and the Senate has been informed and will be regularly updated on progress.
The Terms of Reference, membership, timescales and preliminary arrangements for consultation for the Review have been agreed and are as follows:
Objectives of the review
- To review the current School structures in the Faculty of Science and Engineering and to determine their effectiveness in relation to the delivery of world-class research, outstanding learning and student experience and social responsibility;
- To evaluate possible alternative structures to secure greater financial sustainability;
- To make recommendations to the Vice-President and Dean of Science and Engineering for consideration.
While the Review should consider a wide range of options to better optimise the configuration of the Faculty of Science and Engineering in pursuit of its strategic objectives, it is anticipated that the delivery of the Manchester Engineering Campus Development and the Sir Henry Royce Institute over the period 2019-20 will present opportunities for particular consideration. The Review should take into account the University’s desire to promote more effective working across Schools within an individual Faculty and between Faculties.
Options for the future
In considering alternative structures, the review group should consider options that include:
- retaining the current structure;
- moving discrete activities or constituent parts of Schools;
- merging Schools.
Review Group Core Membership
- Prof. Keith Brown – Vice President and Dean, Faculty of Humanities (Chair)
- Prof. Clive Agnew – Vice President, Teaching, Learning and Students
- Prof. Luke Georghiou – Vice President, Research and Innovation
- Russell Ashworth – Director Programme Management Office
- Nicola Davies – Deputy Director of Finance
- Alan Ferns – Associate Vice-President for External Relations and Reputation
- Naa Acquah – General Secretary, Students Union
- Gillian Rendle - Secretary
The review group is free to co-opt additional resources and capabilities into membership of the review group core membership as they deem necessary.
- 13 December 2016 – first meeting of Review Group
- 8 February 2017 – update Senate of Review
- 26 April 2017 – interim update to Senate
- 28 June 2017 – final report to Senate
- 12 July 2017 – final report to Board of Governors
The Review Group will consult widely with staff and students from the Faculty of Science and Engineering and members of Senate as part of the Review. The Review Group will develop and confirm its modus operandi and means for input from stakeholders at its first meeting.