Celebrating the first year of peer support for all our new students
13 May 2016
The annual Peer Support Celebration Evening took place on Thursday 5 May at the Palace Hotel
This academic year marks the first that Peer Support is offered to all new students at the University, which would not be possible if it wasn’t for the hundreds of passionate students who advise, signpost and facilitate, many going above and beyond what is expected.
The event recognised the commitment of all students and staff involved in Peer Support, celebrating their achievements and thanking them for their efforts in helping students through their first year in Manchester. The evening was also an opportunity for students from different schemes to socialise and make new connections for future collaborations.
The Community of Peer Support (COPS) society hosted an after-party for all who attended the Celebration Evening, where students were given the chance to try their hand at swing-dancing.
Certificates were given to all Student Coordinators, PASS Leaders and Peer Mentors at the event, and the following awards were presented:
PASS Scheme of the Year Award
- Aerospace Engineering
Peer Mentor Scheme of the Year Award
- Geology and Environmental Science
Outstanding Contribution Awards
- Fred Adomakoh, Luke Wheadon, Jack Willgoose (Aerospace Engineering PASS)
- Andrew Aldridge (Aerospace Engineering PASS)
- Scarlett Ash (English American Studies and Creative Writing Peer Mentoring)
- Jennarong Chanrachakul, Keshia Kon (Mechanical Engineering PASS)
- Lusanda Donnelly (Speech and Language Therapy Peer Mentoring)
- Iain Dupere (Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering PASS)
- Janet Ellis (Nursing and Midwifery PASS)
- Gautam (Vaz) Gorasia (Aerospace Engineering PASS)
- Rebecca Lancaster (Religions and Theology PASS)
- Devin Ridgway, George Vanburgh (Computer Science PASS)
- Jenny Rogal (Chinese Peer Mentoring)
- Vusal Suleymanli (Physics PASS)
- Zachary Wilde (Life Sciences PASS)
- Carys Williams (Chemistry PASS)
Peer Support Video Competition winner
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering PASS
Congratulations to all of our worthy winners, and a big thank you to all involved in Peer Support for your hard work this year.