23 Oct 2015
In 2018, the Contact Theatre will open its doors on a vastly improved venue. A £6.2m capital development will unlock the full potential of this iconic building
The growing numbers of young people participating in Contact’s programmes is fast outstripping the building’s capacity. Further growth cannot be accommodated within existing facilities, and investment in their facilities is needed to sustain and grow its work.
- To improve external visibility, public realm and internal navigation to take advantage of the building's prime location;
- To create new creative, media and leadership spaces for young people, ensuring they meet the creative, digital and training needs of the next generation;
- To increase ticketed capacity by 15%;
- To have new hire-able corporate, conference and office spaces – along with a community meeting space – which will allow them to play an improved community hub role;
- A more attractive, expanded and visible café and bar.
The Contact is working closely with the University, Bruntwood and other Corridor partners and exploring opportunities to strengthen links between various University departments and the Students’ Union.
Staff will move off site for the year in 2017, allowing construction work to take place in time for a public launch in 2018.
The University is a core funder of the Theatre.
These proposals will shortly be submitted for planning.
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact:
- Shereen Perera at email@example.com or 0161 274 0617