Box of Broadcasts (BoB) maintenance downtime
25 Sep 2015
Box of Broadcasts (BoB) will be at risk for one week beginning Tuesday 29th September, which will include periods of downtime. This is to carry out the first major update since January 2014.
What is affected?
Any course unit which includes a link to a TV or radio programme accessed via BoB.
What is happening?
The main purpose of the maintenance is to move the system onto an upgraded platform with new features including:
1. A faster, more responsive website. A lot of work has been done behind the scenes to ensure iOS device users have a much improved interface. The desktop experience is better too.
2. Run Workflow. A new feature available with administrator approval that allows users to create an iOS friendly version of programmes that previously would not play on mobile devices.
3. Customise MyBoB. Users can arrange Programmes, Clips and Playlist areas in their preferred order
4. Share your playlists: MyBoB includes multiple options to share your playlist.
5. Related records feature. Each programme record will contain information and links to other episodes available in the archive
This update window will also be used to correct some minor bugs with playback of uploaded materials.
What does this mean for users?
There will be disruption to the service during this time, and users of course units which include a link to aTV or radio programme via BoB may find that they are unable to view the programme. If it is imperative that your students access material in BoB National during the expected downtime, please email the BoB team for assistance with alternatives by Monday 28th September 2015, stating the details of the programme concerned.
For the latest information on BoB National, see the twitter feed: @bufvc_bob or visit the BoB website. Further information about the downtime will be communicated via the BOB-NATIONAL-ADMIN JISCMail list.
We will communicate again when we’ve been notified that the service is back up.
Box of Broadcasts is supported by Media Services at Manchester.
If you have any queries please contact your eLearning Team via firstname.lastname@example.org.