Invitation to attend the University's Foundation Day Celebrations
21 Sep 2015
Our new Chancellor, Lemn Sissay MBE, will be installed during this event on Wednesday, 14 October 2015
As you may be aware, the University marks its foundation each year with its prestigious Foundation Day Address and the Foundation Day Honorary Degree Ceremony. This year’s Foundation Day Celebrations will be particularly special as they will also include the Installation of the Chancellor, Mr Lemn Sissay.
The celebrations will take place on Wednesday, 14 October 2015 and the order of proceedings will be as follows:
- The President and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell will deliver the Foundation Address: ”The University of Manchester: spirit of revolution”
- Conferment of an Honorary Degree on Mr Lemn Sissay by the President and Vice-Chancellor
- The Installation of the Chancellor by the President and Vice-Chancellor
- The Chancellor’s reply
- Conferment of Honorary Degrees by the Chancellor on:
Rt Hon the Baroness Bakewell
Professor Dame Athene Donald
Sir Nicholas Hytner
Dame Janet Smith
Professor Rothwell would like to invite as many members of staff as possible from across the University to attend this occasion.
The proceedings will officially commence at 4.30pm (seats to be taken from 4pm) in the Whitworth Hall and will conclude around 6pm.
As you will appreciate, there are a limited number of tickets available, so these will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. Tickets will be issued during the first week of October.
You are asked also to note that all academic and administrative staff are invited to be members of the procession. Those who wish to process will need to be available from 3.45pm.
Booking tickets and/or gowns
If you are interested in attending the Foundation Day celebrations, please request a ticket by emailing Lesley Sisson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If, in addition, you are a member of academic and administrative staff and you wish to be in the procession, please provide the following information when sending your request for a ticket:
- Hat size:
- University: (London University graduates please indicate whether you are a Member of Convocation)
- PhDs please include Faculty: